UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Roller Coaster Disasters

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:53 pm

Slightly morbid subject but i'm wondering how often do roller coasters tend to break down resulting in loss of life or injury. Also, has anyone lost their life at Alton Towers?

GForce2
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Oh everyday. nah, the only incidents which have caused an unfortunate loss of life recently have been individual the poor girl who fell out of Hydro in Oakwood and the incident(s) involving Superman Ride of Steel in the U.S. Or deaths which have been caused by unknown medical conditions before riding.

I don't recall any major accidents at Alton Towers? Though I do remember reading that someone suffered a heart attack after riding Nemesis not long after it opened in 94
Inferno area op/attendant

Anonymous

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:13 pm

If I gotta die young, then a rollercoaster accident would be the way to go! The Oblivion shuttle de-railing at the bottom of the drop would be good. Or the Nemesis train flying off the track on the vertical loop. Even better would be Rita not making the first turn and just flying off the track and into the valley of death.

Knowing my luck, I'll just end up in an old folks home dribbling and rotting away at the age of about 90 :|

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:22 pm

Knowing my luck, I'll just end up in an old folks home dribbling and rotting away at the age of about 90

LMAO - If Nemesis is still around at 90, I'll be q'ing for it with my zimmerframe! Or even better, wheelchair pass!

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:05 pm

There was a collision on the big one a few years ago. The trains collided on the brakes, apparently due to a computer problem, I think about 20 people were injured. Thats the only incident I'm aware of in the UK which was caused by a problem with the ride.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Well heres an interesting fact!

When the black hole was first made inside the tent when the dummies were sent round (I have reason to believe they were concrete) they came back with no heads due to some scafolding been left up!

Im full of useless Alton rubbish

Anonymous

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:12 pm

lol I did know that :D

barryzola

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:16 pm

I find it hard to believe. Although if you are right i will apologise unreservedly.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:23 pm

it's a common fact- but i'm pretty sure they wern't made out of concrete- possibly polystyrene- more likely fibreglass etc.

barryzola

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:25 pm

That sounds slightly more believable.

barryzola

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:27 pm

I've gotta go now so if someone provide's proof that this happened whilst im gone, then i apologise titler. Later.

Sorry for the double post. I only just realised i did it.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:29 pm

oh well- i'm almost sure it's true.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:48 pm

Doesn't sound very feasible to me. In fact, considering that the Black Hole ride was a standard Jet Star II and the umpteenth model built, I'd be surprised if they even bothered with dummies considering that they'd have known exactly how the ride would perform with people in it. And the ride was built up before the dome was added so I think a bit of scaffolding would have been spotted. Also, as an AT fan since 1983, I think I'd have heard about it myself and this is the first time I've heard this story.

barryzola

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:07 am

"Shockadelica" wrote:
Doesn't sound very feasible to me. In fact, considering that the Black Hole ride was a standard Jet Star II and the umpteenth model built, I'd be surprised if they even bothered with dummies considering that they'd have known exactly how the ride would perform with people in it. And the ride was built up before the dome was added so I think a bit of scaffolding would have been spotted. Also, as an AT fan since 1983, I think I'd have heard about it myself and this is the first time I've heard this story.

Well said.

Anonymous

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:47 am

"Shockadelica" wrote:
I think I'd have heard about it myself and this is the first time I've heard this story.

I'm quite shocked- I thought everyone knew.
I'm sure it was the last test run with the tent on

barryzola

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:51 am

Did they put scaffolding up to erect the tent? Then after the tent was erected they decided to leave the scaffolding there for a laugh? This is baffling me.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 am

Its sounds almost feasable, if they had scaffolding between the circular bit and the rectangular bit of the tent (sorry for the poor description) it might have got in the way of the first drop, and that seems a likely place to put scaffolding.

However its pretty unlikely, forgetting to take scaffolding down is rather stupid, and what are the chances of the scaffolding being exactly at neck height?

Seems like an urban legend/lie to me

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 01, 2006 7:18 pm

I don't know the ride's name, but it's the Bobsled Coaster at Black Pool Pleasure Beach. You know the one, white one with bobsled trains etc. Well as you know the Track is not hmmm track? The trains run free wheeling around the hmmm track. LOL. Im sure someone understands me. The wheels are not locked to the track if you get me. more like a water slide, goes where it wants. But at the end, it has to JOIN a track like normal roller coaster track. And the change from the one track to the other, the train didn't line up correctly for some reason and came to a very sudden hault and snapped the wheels and so on on the train, but came to a sudden hault. And you have a painful bar held near your stomach and peole had internal bleeding due to the sudden stop. It was on the news and all sorts that. I think it was even on the TV show "Theme Park" which was on BBC1 of Black Pool Pleasure Beach?