UK theme parks from another point of view!

Craig

Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am

From TT News:

Alton Towers and Facebook have today announced a partnership which will see the park open a day earlier than planned over February half term and offer free entry to those who check in using Facebook's Places feature.

Facebook Deals is a service which will allow companies to offer discounts to customers who "check in" using the Facebook application on their mobile phones. Alton Towers was among the companies announced at a press launch today, and to kick the service off have announced a number of special offers.

In a surprise move, the park will open one day earlier than initially planned, and will instead open on Friday 18th February. Anyone who visits the park and checks in on this day will gain free entry for themselves and three friends. In addition, the first 100 people to check in on the day will also receive a free stay at one of the resort's hotels, Splash Landings of Alton Towers hotel.

Andrea Fox, head of consumer marketing at the Alton Towers Resort, comments, “We are truly excited to be involved in the launch of Facebook Deals in the UK and help people share the Alton Towers Resort experience with their friends. Opening up the Alton Towers theme park free of charge for people who check in on Facebook is an amazing opportunity to experience the fabulous selection of rides and attractions we have at the Resort, as well as giving us the chance to get involved in an exciting and innovative launch.”

To take advantage of the offer, customers will need to visit on Friday 18th February from 10am until 4pm and check in via the most recent version of the Facebook app or Smartphone at [url=http://www.facebook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.facebook.com[/url]. Click on the Deal to claim it and show your phone screen to the admissions booth located at the theme park entrance.

Further information will be available at [url=http://www.altontowers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com[/url] and on their Facebook page

An interesting offer and quite a surprise! Annoyingly, altontowers.com is currently down though. There seems to be quite a few name drops for Alton Towers floating around today due to the Facebook Deals launch, so I'm guessing the poor little server's been a little overwhelmed :P.

Crofty

Re: Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

Yup, very surprising. I guess it's ideal for Alton, offering an ideal training opportunity for staff. Guests won't be able to complain as it's free. :lol:
I do wonder though, can we really rely on the phones alone? Often apps fail just at the moment they are needed, I'd hate to drive to towers only to find my phone get's a strop on and I can't access the voucher. :P

I wouldn't mind getting that hotel deal, if I can beat Dean to the front of the queue. :lol:

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 am

Excellent deal, I just hope that we can actually get some decent internet connection to check in. Being on Orange, that looks unlikely. :P

I hope they get the link working on their site so we can check out the full terms and conditions.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Craig

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 am

"Vik" wrote:
Excellent deal, I just hope that we can actually get some decent internet connection to check in. Being on Orange, that looks unlikely. :P

Tis on my list today to check :P

Anonymous

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

Especially with the problems with their cell phone tower, it's usually bad on normal usage. I do hope they're taking extra steps to ensure a smooth entry.

Considering people can fake check in, i might do it at 6am in the morning and get a free hotel. This is easily open to abuse, but a good deal non the less!

Jordan

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:25 am

This is a really fantastic event. I won't be able to make it, unfortunately, but for those that can it's a very good excuse to book the Friday off work :-)

"BrettS" wrote:
Considering people can fake check in, i might do it at 6am in the morning and get a free hotel. This is easily open to abuse, but a good deal non the less!

I think you'll find they will just be counting the first 100 people to show the phone screen at the ticket booth as mentioned in the news. Otherwise someone could just check in a lot of their friends early and then try and claim a bunch of hotel rooms, right?

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

Is there WiFi at Alton Towers? It's just that I have an iPod Touch and not an iPhone, so I might not be able to take advantage of this offer :(

Hopefully one of my friends has a smart phone though.

DiogoJ42

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 am

There's wifi in the hotels, but a) you have to pay, and b) it's pants. :roll:

Jordan

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 am

People seem to be getting quite confused on Alton's FB page, with quite a few thinking that you have to book the tickets now on their website, which most likely explains why their site has been hit quite badly #-o

It's a shame really, since I think the execution of this has been really good and the wording hasn't been misleading at all. :clap:

Ashlee, as far as I am aware, there isn't wifi on park. However, I would not be surprised if they had some sort of backup for the cell towers working on the day, as there has been a lot of hype around this and it relies very heavily on there being a mobile internet connection available.

Anonymous

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 am

Ashlee, fake check in on your phone before you leave the house in the morning... press the lock and home button. This will take a screenshot as "just checked in" then show the screenshot to the booth. Obviously it'll just look like a normal check in ^^

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 am

"Jordan" wrote:
I think you'll find they will just be counting the first 100 people to show the phone screen at the ticket booth as mentioned in the news. Otherwise someone could just check in a lot of their friends early and then try and claim a bunch of hotel rooms, right?

Thinks to that Gut wrenching moment when you step out of the Monorail station and see about 500 people already queueing. :P

Whos to bet there will be soming queueing overnight. :? (No, I won't be one of them! )

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Note that as this is an out of season event annual passes will not be valid.

Source: AT facebook page

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Yup I just read that too, in reply to Shauns question asking if passes were valid. I just hope though that there isn't a major issue with network coverage (which there normally is around that area!), which means people cannot access the internet to check in. No check in, no entry, wasted journey if that happens.

:D

Will be interesting to see what time people start queueing up at to make sure they are in the first 100 to get the free room. :shock:

EDIT

T&C's and other info :-

• What are Facebook ® Deal...s?
From today you can check in on Facebook on your mobile phone and claim special offers, rewards and discounts from top brands. Part of Facebook Places, Facebook Deals helps you find bargains in your local area from your mobile phone or discover money-saving tips from your friends through your News Feed.

• What is the Deal on 18th February at Alton Towers Resort?
On Friday 18th February, the Alton Towers Theme Park will open a day earlier than planned for the Half Term holiday, offering exclusive use for anyone who checks in on that day only. The first 100 to check in will also receive a free one night stay in one of the fantastically themed Resort Hotels on Friday 18th February.

• How do I claim the Deal?
To take advantage of free entry to Alton Towers Theme Park, visit on Friday 18th February from 10am until 4pm and use Places on touch.facebook.com or Facebook for iphone / Blackberry to check-in and receive your tickets!

• What phone do I need to claim the Deal?
You’ll need a smart phone to check-in on the day, an iPhone or Blackberry has the capability to check you in and some other brands of phone will also allow you to check-in.

• I don’t have an iPhone or similar, does that mean I can’t claim the Deal?
You can download Facebook Places onto other phones, so it depends on your specific phone.

• If I come with friends do we all need to check-in to claim the Deal?
No – For every phone that checks in to Alton Towers Resorts official check in page on Friday 18th February, a total of 4 guests will be able to enter the Theme Park Free of charge (subject to usual Theme Park Terms and Conditions). But please tag your friends if they are on Facebook.

• How do I know if I’ve won a hotel stay?
We will release details closer to the time about how to win the Hotel stay – so keep checking our official Alton Towers Resort Facebook Page for full details.

• Is the hotel open?
The Hotel, Waterpark, Spa and Extraordinary Golf are all open – to make a booking and for more information visit [url=http://www.altontowers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com[/url]

• I can’t make the 18th Feb, are you going to have any more Deals running?
We will be running further Facebook Deals throughout the 2011 season – but the free entry offer is a one-off launch deal.

• Can I visit with an Annual Pass?
As this is an event outside of the regular park operating calendar and is exclusive to Facebook, Annual Pass holders will still need to check-in on a mobile phone to receive entry tickets for this day.

• What rides will be open on Friday 18th February?
The following rides are open on 18th February : Nemesis, Oblivion, Heave Ho, Marauder’s Mayhem, Sharkbait Reef by SEALIFE, Wobble World, Twirling Toadstool, Gallopers, Frog Hopper, Old Macondald's Farmyard - including The Tractors, Doodle Doo Derby Riverbank Eye Spy & Berry Bish Bash, Peugeot Driving School, Sonic Spinball, Hex, Runaway Mine Train, Duel, Air & Blade. This is the same ride offering as February Half-Term.

Also, for anyone who's annual pass needs renewing, the Annual Pass office will be open. ( Source Alton Towers Facebook page )

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Very good offer. Most people have smart phones now so it's a nice idea.

Good one Alton! Still doesn't make up for no new ride though..!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Dean

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm

"Crofty" wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting that hotel deal, if I can beat Dean to the front of the queue. :lol:

1. I'll be working
2. I don't have a posh phone :cry:

Big Dave

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Just got confirmation that you can use ANY phone that uses the latest version of Facebook app as long as it supports places. Also you can use the Facebook touch site yet again only if your phone supports location sharing.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

"BrettS" wrote:
Ashlee, fake check in on your phone before you leave the house in the morning... press the lock and home button. This will take a screenshot as "just checked in" then show the screenshot to the booth. Obviously it'll just look like a normal check in ^^

...except for the time at the top of the screen, proving that it's a screen shot which was taken before 10am.

Given how closely this forum is monitored by AT, and how openly you've stated your plans, I'm sure they'll be careful to have measures in place to ensure that your 'trick' doesn't work :P

Anonymous

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

"Islander""][quote=""BrettS" wrote:

...except for the time at the top of the screen, proving that it's a screen shot which was taken before 10am.

Given how closely this forum is monitored by AT, and how openly you've stated your plans, I'm sure they'll be careful to have measures in place to ensure that your 'trick' doesn't work :P[/quote]
You are over estimating alton towers technical and communication skills :P

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm working and would have no chance with my 6220!

Crofty

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

I Think it's very odd for Alton to be offering free hotel stays for the Friday night. Maybe they are expecting people not to take the offer up as they would not have gone prepared for an overnight stay. :)