UK theme parks from another point of view!

BIan
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

English Football 2011/2012

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 am

The new season starts today :)

Fixture lists are out.

Peterborough away is not bad, and could hopefully start the season off with a win, can keep on winning away from home this season.

Two homes against Burnley and Coventry so hopefully we can continue are good home match performances from last season.

Last three games of the season are going to be Tough, Portsmouth , Reading and Cardiff City with the other matches in April not looking great either, so hopefully we will be well clear of the bottom by then.

Big Derby against Millwall for us on New Years Eve, and then Leicester to start the new year off.

Come on you Eagles.

Ian

Moley

Re: English Football 2011/2012

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Not too fussed about the fixture list really, if United want to win the league they'll have to win the majority of them regardless of order.

The transfer window has yet again become a tabloid "journalists" wet dream with their triple dartboard system (1 club, 1 player and 1 the fee) working a treat both in paper and Twitter form.
While at a ridiculously inflated 'English tax' price, Phil Jones is a great buy and I'd like to see him play as a defensive midfielder when both Rio and Vidic are fit. Can see him getting some games in the back 4 if Vidic gets injured as I think Smalling is too Rio-esque in his play for the two of them to play together.

Hopefully get De Gae signed up and focus attention on getting a replacement for the Ginger Prince.

barryzola

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Easy 3 points for the Albion first game then eh Moley? :wink:

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Pretty happy with Accrington home opening game, though the two games which follow (Aldershot and Bristol Rovers away) will be tougher tests of our promotion credentials this season.

Ending the season with the worst clash possible (Rotherham away :| ) is less than ideal, but ideally will be promoted by then anyway. :D

Ipswitch away in the League Cup, too... meh.

Blaze

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Not playing a London team first game for once! :shock: And I was so sure it would be Spurs again.

As usual, United get a new team first and all their post-CL matches are at home. All of City's are away.

But then again, I'm waiting until Sky have their say before really commenting.

barryzola

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:24 pm

West Brom a new team? I'm offended :P

We were there last season and mostly there every other season for nearly the last decade :)

The original Yo-Yo masters.

I would call Swansea a new team to be honest.

I think we're out of that category to be honest, although i accept that we havn't consolidated as well as Stoke for example.

Blaze

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Oops, sorry! :P

Season only ended last month and I've forgotten it (wonder why? :P ).

Still the traditional easy opening game for United. At least it isn't Bolton again! :P

Moley

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 pm

"barryzola" wrote:
Easy 3 points for the Albion first game then eh Moley? :wink:

With United being notoriously slow starters I'd have actually preferred one of the other "big 4". Though based on the rags there will be 11 different players from last season in United shirts so who knows? :P

Blaze

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:05 pm

According to the rags Liverpool will be getting rid of an entire team and buying an entire new one. :P

.Will

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:39 am

Well according to the Daily Mirror Asamoah Gyan is going to Stoke for £10 million. I am split by this move to be honest Stoke really need a holding midfielder *cough* Charlie Adam, and they need another winger *cough* Charles N'Zogbia. Won't happen I know but it is a nice thought. If they get Gyan (and no bid has been put in yet) but he will replace Carew, who did nothing and is now on a free transfer and Ricardo Fuller who will probabily be a Sunderland next season. Lets hope another Sunderland striker going to Stoke doesn't flop like the last one!

:evil:

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm

My predictions:

Prem:

1st: Man City
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: Man U
4th:Liverpool
5th: Arsenal ( Will be top 3 in late march, but then bottle it as usual)
6th: Spurs
18th: Wigan
19th: QPR
20: Norwich

FA Cup: Liverpool
Leagur Cup: Any Championship team
Champions League: Barcelona

Championship:
1st: West Ham
2nd: Birmingham
Play offs: Forest
Rel: Peterbrough, Donny, Coventry

L1:
1st: Huddersfield
2nd: Preston
Play off: Scunthorpe
Rel: Stevenage, Bury, Notts County, Wycombe
L2:
1st: Rotherham
2nd: Plymouth
3rd: Swindon
Play off: Wimbeldon
Rel: Northampton, Crawley

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:
Rel: Northampton, Crawley

I'm liking how you've put 2 teams that are likely to get promotion in your relegation places, Adz. :P

Moley

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Agreed D4n, would be very surprised if Crawley get relegated with the backing they've got, regardless of the team that just treated the Conference like a walk in the park.

.Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Pfft. Predictions are a waste of time it never turns out like that.

Stoke for Europa!

:P

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Northampton: Narrowly avoided relegationlast season and Garry Johnson's record has been far from great.

Crawley: Their exploits in the FA cup last season made people stand up and take notice,  but I still think they'll go down.

BTW, Northampton? Promotion Likely? <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P --> Your an optimistic fan aren't you Dan?
Last edited by Ritadz on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:
Crawley: Their exploits in the FA cup last season made people stand up and take notice, and I'm proably the only person who thinks Steve Evans is a decent manager, but I still think they'll go down.

Luck of the cup. Remember Havant and Waterlooville in the 07/08 season when the played Liverpool.

:wink:

A5H

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:
Championship:
1st: West Ham
2nd: Birmingham
Play offs: Forest
Rel: Peterbrough, Donny, Coventry

Woah now! :P
We might have a struggle now without Westwood and King, but if we can get a keeper in time and if Kevin Phillips does sign for us, I don't see why we can't have a good season! I have complete faith in Andy Thorn! :D

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Ash, regarding you getting a good keeper, I have news from my man on the inside Coventry have offerred Joe Murphy ( our out of contract keeper last season, slightly better on his day but not as consistant as Westwood imo) a contract, you should be getting him on a free. :)

A5H

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:
Ash, regarding you getting a good keeper, I have news from my man on the inside Coventry have offerred Joe Murphy ( our out of contract keeper last season, slightly better on his day but not as consistant as Westwood imo) a contract, you should be getting him on a free. :)

I have heard that too :D As long as he can do a good job for us that's all that matters really, our problem at the minute is strikers... Without King we haven't got a "guarunteed goal scorer"... Eastwood and Platt are alright but do not score half as many as they really should... Jutkewitcz however I rate, Very good on the ball and helped set up King a few times last season.

I'm just hoping Gunnarsson signs the bloody contract! [-o<

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 am

From what I've heard Coventry are after our keeper. Chris Dunn, who isn't even up to League Two standards... so if he ends up as your first choice for next season... good luck!

BTW, Northampton? Promotion Likely? Your an optimistic fan aren't you Dan?

Expecting a team featuring Adebayo Akinfenwa, Shaun Harrad, Jake Robinson & Michael Jacobs, and managed by Gary Johnson is going to get promoted... hardly optimistic. That's a fairly reasonable expectation, I'd say. We have the largest budget of any League Two club, bar Crawley, too.
:)