UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mrlee
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Wicker Man - General Discussion

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:38 am

Went yesterday (20/09) and was open with 2 trains trains running.

And just to add..
What an Amazing ride! :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:24 am

I had my first back row ride on it a couple days ago and I have to say, my opinion changed significantly on it. The first drop and the first air time hill were nothing short of incredible. The speed I felt was beyond stupidity for a ride of its caliber and to top it all off the fire effects were working properly. Definitely worth waiting 90 mins for :lol
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

Smiling.Always
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Hiya, just asking a quick question it's probably very obvious, I was at Scarefest and was watching the Wicker Man at night and noticed inside the head there is water sprayed out when a car has gone through just wondering if it is water and why? All I can think is heat from the cars on the track but other coaster's don't do this. As well I noticed some of the screen's showing fire though the wood on the head seem to be damaged. And a big shout out to a really nice TowersTimes member me and my friend met on the 5th outside Cloud Cuckoo Land Sky Ride station who gave us TT badges I never got your name! But thank you :) Sorry for the long post :)
Don't Look Down..... Smile.Always!
Finally got a Premium Merlin Pass!! :D

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Could it be an issue with the system that sprays the mist on the ride? 
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Smiling.Always wrote:
Hiya, just asking a quick question it's probably very obvious, I was at Scarefest and was watching the Wicker Man at night and noticed inside the head there is water sprayed out when a car has gone through just wondering if it is water and why?

It’s water vapour that creates a mist effect which is designed to make it look like the Wicker Man structure is burning.

Smiling.Always
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Bexa wrote:
Could it be an issue with the system that sprays the mist on the ride? 

I didn't think of that, I looked at my day photo's then my night photo's and yes there was no mist inside. Thank you :)

Dan wrote:
Smiling.Always wrote:
Hiya, just asking a quick question it's probably very obvious, I was at Scarefest and was watching the Wicker Man at night and noticed inside the head there is water sprayed out when a car has gone through just wondering if it is water and why?

It’s water vapour that creates a mist effect which is designed to make it look like the Wicker Man structure is burning.

Ahh brilliant, thank you :) so obvious now people are saying! :P
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged Topics
Don't Look Down..... Smile.Always!
Finally got a Premium Merlin Pass!! :D

Mr_Gibson
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I got my first back row ride on Wicker Man today, it was a morning run but a nice ride with good airtime!

matt_1985x
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 am

Got on it on Friday, front seat. Wonderful ride, I definitely like the pre-show.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Out of curiosity, do we know if the usual GCI winter maintenance addresses areas of roughness on the coaster?

I found Wicker Man to be borderline unbearably uncomfortable on the turn after the twisted double down toward the latter half of 2019, even opting against riding it on more then one occasion due to it actually hurting my back. Hopefully this will get addressed because my appreciation for the attraction has already began waning because of this and I do enjoy the ride overall...

rctneil
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Owen wrote:
I found Wicker Man to be borderline unbearably uncomfortable on the turn after the twisted double down toward the latter half of 2019, even opting against riding it on more then one occasion due to it actually hurting my back. Hopefully this will get addressed because my appreciation for the attraction has already began waning because of this and I do enjoy the ride overall...

Hopefully!  I also found that area really rough over the second half of the 2019 season. I hope Alton do some trackwork otherwise it's just going to continue to get worse.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Owen wrote:
Out of curiosity, do we know if the usual GCI winter maintenance addresses areas of roughness on the coaster?

I believe there is a scheduled service after a certain number of years that would replace the metal topper of the track. I don't know what the schedule for Wicker Man would be, but if it's the topper causing the issue it would likely be done when that service was due.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 29, 2020 7:07 pm

I just had a thought. Wicker Man starts with a few dozen people crowded into a hut like area, to watch a video (as I’m sure you all know)

Who wants to take bets on the video not being used in 2020?

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 pm

wamdue wrote:
I just had a thought. Wicker Man starts with a few dozen people crowded into a hut like area, to watch a video (as I’m sure you all know)

Who wants to take bets on the video not being used in 2020?

It’s a fairly reasonable assumption to make that the Wicker Man pre-show won’t be running when the park re-opens. The station buildings will be classed as enclosed spaces so the social distancing measures in those areas will need to be perfect.