UK theme parks from another point of view!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 pm

jonny9403 wrote:
And they will have to hope for no break downs because that will be mirror head lines. Like airs break down but worse

That's one thing that bothers me, there's bound to be stops and every one of them is gonna be treated like an incident by papers, e.g the Mirror, for the first couple weeks. What their readers need to know is that there isn't a ride in the world that runs like clockwork every single day of the year, there are stops and delays because they're so safe, not because they're dangerous.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 pm

The mirror will report what they report I suspect AT will just ignore them and the gp will do another collective sigh as they're just as bored of them as we are. :)

HalfwayCorrected
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:53 pm

As far as I can tell from MI7 the Buy The Smiler shop sign has now returned! Unsure about the entrance signs though.

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:21 am

It certainly looks to have returned.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I am looking forward to the re-opening of The Smiler and I am sure that it will regain its dominance and impressive atmosphere quickly as the season begins. Despite this, I am very concerned that Alton Towers did not decide to repaint or freshen up the ride before it's re-opening. There is no denying the ride is rusty and this is not going to go down well with the general public as rust symbolises a lack of safety in their eyes. The ride still appears to look shabby and like its on it's last legs, when in reality Alton Towers should be investing into giving it a new-lease of life.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Is it just me, or does the paint around X sector faded or rusted more than anywhere else? oblivion looks a lot lighter on the MI7 pictures, and the smiler looks even more rusty. I hope they are included in the TLC scheme.

ASturge21
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Where can these MI7 pictures be found?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:42 pm

ASturge21 wrote:
Where can these MI7 pictures be found?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2016/02/12/mi7-exclusive-closed-season-aerial-update/
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:13 am

Joe & Leah were on Loose Women the other day. It's nice to see them doing well and it seems Leah is now walking unaided for short periods.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:21 pm

Whilst at last nights ghost hunt we performed some vigils in the tunnel running between X-Sector and the West Wing of the Towers, we got a fairly decent view of The Smiler. The scaffolding shown around the sea serpent roll is now gone and there is now scaffolding up around the first drop over the toilet block. We didn't see anything else significant really.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:59 am

The BBC are reporting that the owners of Alton Towers are to be prosecuted following the crash on The Smiler on 2nd June 2015.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 am

The HSE statement is available here.

Kraken
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 am

I can't say I am surprised by this news in the slightest. The injured guests were not to blame in any way - they were merely on a ride, in the seats they had been given, with the harnesses correctly applied. The employee(s) actions in over-riding the ride control system caused the injuries, as indeed Merlin have confirmed.

No idea what the fine will be, but would expect it to be substantial. As an aside, I also notice that the Alton Park Operations Director quietly left his post a short while ago & Merlin were recruiting for a replacement. If the role needed back-filling, then it was not a redundancy situation.... jumped ship or pushed from the ship?

bengutt
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Dan.N wrote:
The BBC are reporting that the owners of Alton Towers are to be prosecuted following the crash on The Smiler on 2nd June 2015.

This could actually help underline the fact that it was an operator error and the ride itself is safe to the general public. So although they may have a massive fine to pay, it might help them out in the long run.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Not really a surprise TBH, anyone who breaches health and safety legislation so severely gets the same treatment. I'm more astonished that they've managed to do it so quickly.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:34 pm

bengutt wrote:
Dan.N wrote:

This could actually help underline the fact that it was an operator error and the ride itself is safe to the general public. So although they may have a massive fine to pay, it might help them out in the long run.

Many have said they won't go to Alton Towers again or if they do they won't be riding the Smiler again. I'm glad they been taken to court as I think it's so unfair that all this is down to 1 person.

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 pm

I was speaking to me college class about the park today with them all knowing I'm a coaster enthusiast, I'm the first person they come too when asking anything about rides or parks, most of them put off going to Towers last year but all won't to go this year, with all of them saying The Smiler looks amazing and 4 of them who have been on it, highly recommending it to other class friends.
I feel like people on this site are way to over dramatic about how empty the park will be this year and how popular The Smiler will be, even last year at Scarefest I was shocked by just how many people were saying they wish The Smiler was open and how amazing it looks. I feel like the way the ride looks itself will draw people to it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:20 pm

owenrita121 wrote:
even last year at Scarefest I was shocked by just how many people were saying they wish The Smiler was open
Chatting to a couple of staff members during Scarefest they all said they were getting tons of people each day asking them if the Smiler was open. Despite it sitting there with everything switched off, the signs removed and the queue gates closed..

I'm quietly confident it will be fairly busy this year, not like a normal season but gotta be busier than last year, also think once most people see the Smiler operating normally for a while they'll give it a go. Fingers crossed it DOES operate normally.. :P and don't say normally = broken, you!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:29 am

I think when it does breakdown for longer than 5 mins then they need staff going to check the ride trains to let guests now it's just a breakdown and nothing to worry about.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:08 pm

I too think it will be busier than last year. A flurry of idiocy will break out when the usual stoppages occur, but as long as, rightly stated above, the staff act calmly and everyone sees nothing bad happened then, purely in terms of the ride, the accident can start being an unpleasant part of it's history rather than the ghost that haunts it atm.

The HSE prosecution could rake it up a little, depending of course on the outcome, but I think this year will pick up through the season :)