UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheBoyWithOneEye
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin to give the UK a new theme park?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I think Greenham Common, Newbury, Berkshiremwould be a great place!  :D

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 pm

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
Me!  :)

Check out this topic then: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/corner-c ... heme-park/
:D

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Well you need a lot of space, if you look at Thorpe, it may be small, but the total space used by the park, car parks and other areas is huge. Now if something like the Smiler and Swarm cost 18Million, you'd need a huge amount of cash, plus planning permissions etc.

If you have enough money behind you like Paramount, then it is possible.

To be honest the only way we are going to see a new theme park is for existing parks we have in this country who will expand or where Zoos start adding rides, like Chester Zoo, Chessington and recently announced Longleat.

Merlin really have the south of England sorted, the only thing I can see is for them to possibly get BPB or Flamingoland/Lightwater when the time is right.
There would be no chance of buying Oakwood as its owned by Merlin's number one competit
Merlin have plenty of room for expansion on their existing parks and I believe over the next 20 years we will see Thorpe and Alton both expand to use all available land. I believe we won't see much more expansion on Legoland or Chessington.

Merlin also have many good attractions in London sorted to.

For any independent park, they have a massive challenge:
-Merlin have some of the best parks already
-The strength and fantastic price of the MAP and unlimited entry means whatever their deal will be, is rubbish compared to what Merlin are offering
-Merlin have their foot in the door, great experts and with so many parks over the world, they have the right people to do a good job (When they put their mind to it)
-Merlin have the cash to build a new big ride every year, where as a smaller park it may only be every 5-10 years depending on budgets
-The Merlin marketing machine is huge and very powerful, TV adverts, national newspaper adverts and recently the marketing used for the Smiler have shown their power
-You can't walk into your local supermarket in the summer and not have something with a Merlin product advertised on it
-2 for 1's are almost everywhere too.

For Merlin, unless an existing park is available at a good price, I doubt they will do much apart from the off Sealife Centre or small attraction. Merlin will spend more money overseas at opening up newer parks and keeping their existing parks open.
If you go down to the woods today

markzachrimmer
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:40 pm

I think that their best bet would be to grab hold of BPB as they have most of the major attractions now in Blackpool and i have heard rumors that they are trying to grab hold of the Sandcastle water park which would be interesting.

However, i doubt they would purchase and upgrade BPB as it is too close to Alton Towers and they wouldn't want their own park competing against another  :(

Kirsty25

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 pm

markzachrimmer wrote:
I think that their best bet would be to grab hold of BPB as they have most of the major attractions now in Blackpool and i have heard rumors that they are trying to grab hold of the Sandcastle water park which would be interesting.

However, i doubt they would purchase and upgrade BPB as it is too close to Alton Towers and they wouldn't want their own park competing against another  :(

I'd go to AT over BPB any day, mainly because I hate Blackpool and love AT lol

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't think Blackpool will ever be sold to Merlin. Its a family run business and the wont give up, it would be nice though because it would give Merlin a few woodies but then everyone would be upset when they started removing rides.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Blackpool isnt very clean to me. If i was the owner of blackpool this is what id do.
. Remove BMBO For a B&M Hyper
. Remove Infusion For a B&M Invert
. Remove all the woodies add new better ones
.Add some decent flat rides
.Theme Areas with a decent theme

Credit to NemesisRider

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Blackpool isnt very clean to me. If i was the owner of blackpool this is what id do.

Thats a good idea but one thing i wouldn't want removed is steeplechase and Grand National, the good thing is that they could keep Nickelodeon Land and then make it better!
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Henry wrote:

Thats a good idea but one thing i wouldn't want removed is steeplechase and Grand National, the good thing is that they could keep Nickelodeon Land and then make it better!

Plus the UK needs to get B&M... Also id remove everything out of nickelodeon land and redo it all, actually id do that to the whole of BPPB

Credit to NemesisRider

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Basically, RollerCoasterGeek, you'd remove everything good and unique about the pleasure beach? ;)

I can't see a new theme park being built by Merlin in the UK. They tend to prefer acquisitions rather than building from scratch anyway.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Adz wrote:
Basically, RollerCoasterGeek, you'd remove everything good and unique about the pleasure beach? ;)

I can't see a new theme park being built by Merlin in the UK. They tend to prefer acquisitions rather than building from scratch anyway.

I wouldn't remove everything, I'd just like to Sprouse it up ;)

Credit to NemesisRider

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

I don't think even 'sprucing' BPPB up would change anything, it is a tribute to the naffness of days gone by, and while it could be cleaner and better kept, I don't think there's anything you could really do it to other than knock the whole lot down and build something completely different!

I know what to expect when I go to BPPB, it (to be cliche) 'is what it is'. Which is tacky, gaudy, no-frills fun.

jamie.rivettcarnac

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 pm

remember theres talk of opening a new theme park in dartford will be 3rd biggist theme park in world

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Merlin won't be opening a new park in the UK any time in the next 10 years, from scratch at the very least. No doubt they've eyed up a few of their smaller competitors over the years, but Merlin really need to refocus their efforts on keeping their existing parks at the top of their game to fend off any possible invasion from Paramount, or even the third/fourth gates at Disneyland Paris which are likely to make an appearance over the next 10-20 years.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote:
remember theres talk of opening a new theme park in dartford will be 3rd biggist theme park in world

Well i aint heard nothing of its construction yet....

Credit to NemesisRider

matadventure
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Parks Quick Questions

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm

What are this years prices for Thorpe's ORP's (all of the products) and the Swarm DVD and photo offer?
Last edited by matadventure on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RITA123
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:25 pm

im goin thorpe park next friday(as long as it don't snow)what order of rides should i go on!
rides i want to go on:
stealth
the swarm
saw
colossus
nemesis inferno
detonator
slammer

Credit to Lewis97

Kirsty25

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:15 pm

RITA123 wrote:
im goin thorpe park next friday(as long as it don't snow)what order of rides should i go on!
rides i want to go on:
stealth
the swarm
saw
colossus
nemesis inferno
detonator
slammer

I would do Saw as the first ride of the day as last week as the day went on it got more and more rough :( other than that, anything goes

@ltonFreak12
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin's £200 million acquisition fund

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Rob-TT wrote:
I wish they would setup a theme park in Scotland. The nearest we have to a theme park is M&Ds.

Same here m&ds is all we've got  :x

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin's £200 million acquisition fund

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

@ltonFreak12 wrote:
Rob-TT wrote:
I wish they would setup a theme park in Scotland. The nearest we have to a theme park is M&Ds.

Same here m&ds is all we've got  :x

Not sure you can count M&Ds as a theme park! more a glorified fun fair